Saturday 27 June 2009

Hot In The City

The recent hot and muggy weather this week has really got on my nerves. I'm fed up of walking out of the house, cool and fresh from a shower yet by the time I get into work I'm a sweaty scummy mess. I don't know what it is but when it's hot, the city of London seems to envelope you in this film of grime and grease. I recently heard the expression "I got totally KFC'd taking a walk this lunchtime" and I know exactly what they mean.

So yesterday when I took a 5 minute sauna, sorry journey, on the tube to meet Niamh of Eatlikeagirl who was contributing a meal for the second installment of WMPC and had been very secretive about it, the last thing I had on my mind was curry.

And yet of course that's what she had made me, a curry.

Now don't get me wrong, I love a curry, hot ones too but the prospect of plowing and perspiring through a fiery dish on a day like yesterday did unnerve me a little and wishing that I brought a spare shirt. But don't worry Niamh, your Prawn Curry came through just fine and if it meant stripping down to my pants to have a second helping then I would have gladly done so! (Now there's an image to torment the soul!)

The great thing about this curry was the equal combination of tomato and coconut milk, giving a nice balance of fruit and cream. The blend of spices was delicate and the chilli gave away just the right amount of heat with the coriander sprinkled on top adding some freshness. So this was more of a flavoursome curry rather than the full on 'burn your bum in the morning' type one I was worried about. The cardamom rice was also delicious and the prawns were still still sweet and tender, I did wonder how they would fair in the microwave. Super effort.

For this delectable dish, I swapped two tickets for the Taste of London that had come my way gratis, though after reading blogs about the event, I don't think I'll do that again, some of the food looked great. So sorry Niamh, if you take part in WMPC again, you'll have to make do with a turnip from the allotment.


Prawn Curry

2 comments:

  1. It really is a great idea, I was only delighted to take part! I am really glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curry looks great - has Niamh blogged the recipe. I'm getting worried about what to cook for my turn.....

    ReplyDelete